Saturday, August 20, 2011

Miki from Oki

I had mentioned in earlier posts that my sister moved to Okinawa, Japan this year. She reconnected with a high school friend who was stationed over there and they got married over Christmas time. "A" and I have really missed his Aunt. We have had fun learning about Japan and getting fun gift-boxes from her with Japanese toys and coloring books-oh and lots of really weird chips and candy! This week we got the best gift of all from Japan-she is home visiting for 5 weeks!!!


My sister is always one to come bearing gifts and she bought "A" this cool picture book called Miki Mongoose and the Boy From Itoman by Clemente. We even got a plush Miki Mongoose to go along with the story. It is a cute story told in both English and Japanese about Miki, his parents, his best friend Hiro (a habu-snake in Japanese), and a boy name Kazuma. In the story the group travels from the Shuri Castle to Futenma Shrine. At the end of the book are photographs and facts about the two locations that are in Okinawa. Now I just need to come up with the money to visit her and the temples for myself. A girl can dream!!! What can I say... it is good to have my sister home-"A" thinks so too!

Thanks for the cool gift Aunt K!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment