We did an exciting math activity on this hot and balmy afternoon. I have to admit this isn't my idea; I saw this awesome math idea at Toddler Approved. First I put random numbers on flames of fire. Then I taped them to our garage (oh no I set the house on fire). Call you little fire-person to help put it out. Then with a hose they spray out the flames. The trick is they have to put out the flames that I tell them to giving them math hints. The math learning is endless. Here are some ways I told him to put out the flames:
- call out an addition and they have to spray the answer. Example, put out the flame that is 5+2. So then he sprays the 7.
- call out subtraction problems too (just like above)
- have them count by 5s and spray the flames in the correct order (5,10,15, 20)
- simple number identification ("A" gets 16 and 19 confused so I would say, "Hurry and put out 16)
- even and odds -have them spray all the evens. Later call out odds.