Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe

I don't know how but "A" saw some clips of a Narnia movie and has been begging me to watch them. On top of that, he knows I love the Harry Potter, so that is the other request. At 5 years old there is no way I am ready to introduce Harry Potter (I'm thinking around 7 years old). I tend to have a strong believe that one should read a story first before watching the movie. After reading some chapter books as read-alouds to see if he could comprehend them and also have the attention span to sit still... I made the decision to read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. The fact, that our local science museum is doing a Narnia traveling exhibit helped cement my plans. It took us about 5 weeks to read the 17 chapters and every night it was "just one more chapter" from my little book-lover. I found a lapbook from Homeschool Share, so  every three chapters I would make sure we stopped and answered the reading comprehension questions. The questions were great for a young child because it was simple question and answer, and it was a good way to gauge "A's" understanding. As a teacher, I really wish there was some more critical thinking and text-to-self connection type questions.  Also, the lapbook does a lot of connecting the story to Christian values and makes connections to Bible verses. I kept some of those in (like the comparison to Aslan to Jesus) but a lot of it was beyond "A's" understanding and more than I wanted to introduce, so I just omitted those questions.


"A's" drawing of Lucy with the lamppost in snowy Narnia
There is quite a few questions of the course of the book!

Other reading comprehension activities:

Making Strawberry Turkish Delight (recipe in lapbook)
Candy-making was a lot of harder than I expected
I started calling "A" Edmund because all he did was try to sneak more Turkish Delight!
Pretty yummy if I say so myself!
Got Picture with the White Witch (during library opening)

Watched the 2005 movie and did a Venn Diagram (stored on back of lapbook)

Went to OMSI to see exhibit. Couldn't take pics inside but mostly movie props.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Sarah,
    I was admiring your lapbook and wondering how you did it to have a top and bottom part to it. I'm reading this same book for the first time with my class and want to have them do a lapbook, except that there are so many questions that don't seem to fit in just one folder. Please let me know as soon as you can, as I would love to start this with my students. Thank you in advance,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,
    I was admiring your lapbook and wondering how you did it to have a top and bottom part to it. I'm reading this same book for the first time with my class and want to have them do a lapbook, except that there are so many questions that don't seem to fit in just one folder. Please let me know as soon as you can, as I would love to start this with my students. Thank you in advance,

    ReplyDelete