Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Turkey Cake & other Cake Ideas

Baking is not one of my favorite things. However, I am known to occasionally make cakes and decorate them. Nothing too spectacular, mind you. My cake and frosting is out of a box, and  by decorating-I mean adding tons of candy. Most of the people in my family don't like Pumpkin Pie (they are crazy!) so we have some type of chocolate dessert. This year I volunteered to have "A" and me make a chocolate cake decorated like a turkey. The original idea is by Betty Crocker but you can see another version at Lifehackers as well. I have done it years past and the brilliance is candy covers a multiple of sins. Just get creative and use what you got. For example, my cake feet didn't work so I just added more candy! It is a great family tradition for my boys to help put on the candy (as they sneak some of course).
I taught "A" how to crack eggs-he was so proud!
Of course you have to let them stir!
The finished cake (candy corn, M&M's, and Reese's Pieces)
Sneaking the candy-he has a MAJOR sweet tooth!
With other holidays coming up here are some other cakes I have done in the past:
Birthday Train: Another Better Crocker Recipe. I have used this same cake and decorated it as a Christmas Train. I don't have a picture but the candy on the train below is similar to how I did it. However, I think I frosted the cars green, red, and white. Great for your Polor Express lover.
This is not my cake and uses a train mold. Just wanted to show the x-mas candy idea (which I have done). This is done over at As I See It.
Thinking of doing something like this for this year. However, thinking gum drops, red licorice ropes, and other fun things. I love choosing how I am going to decorate. This also shows that if I am going to make it I have to be able to cut it from a normal cake shape...no molds or fancy tools for me.
Okay I lied, I do have a heart mold. This cake is by freakgirl but ours is very similar. In fact, "A" makes this cake for me every Valentines Day or Birthday...with lots of red gummy hearts on top.

That is some of our ideas. The point is to be creative and have fun with it. Do any of you decorate cake with candy? Love to hear what you tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment