Monday, November 21, 2011

Fine Motor Skill Racing & Sight Word Parking

I will be the first to admit that it is really hard for me to get on the floor and play with my boys. I would like to think that if I had a girl it would be easier. I could easily see myself setting up dollhouses, having tea parties, and dressing up like princesses. However, racing a train around a circle track or pushing cars back and forth-my brain will not slow down for. There is a lot of guilt wrapped around this, so in attempt to get down and play with cars I made a racing track out of butcher paper. One wavy path and one zig-zag path, both having a start and stop. "A" chose different Matchbox cars and Ready, Set, Go we were racing each other. What he doesn't know is that this is a great way to work on fine motor skills. Plus, it was an experiment on which was quicker (zig-zag or curvy). He then chose to put a strip of paper across the two to act as a bridge. Of course, if he crossed the bridge and I happen to be on the other side he could bonk me off. He had great fun and have Mom doing it with him made it so much better!
Then to add some sight word practice in I made a parking garage (actually just spaces on a piece of paper). I wrote all the sight words he is really struggling with. At first I would call out, "Can you park in the HERE parking spot", and he would then drive and park. Once he filled up the spaces he called out the words for me to park in. That is great because it not only taught him to guess a word based on the beginning sound, but he had to read them aloud as well. It was just a great way for me to assess his understanding. He absolutely loved this and wanted to play it 4-5 times, three was my limit ;0). There is always next time though!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! What a fun, creative learning activity!! Five STARS!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a great Thanksgiving & we'll see you next week!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and creative idea for sight words- thanks for linking up to The Sunday SHowcase!

    ReplyDelete