Saturday, September 22, 2012

Apple Pie Sensory Bin

Starting Monday we will be rowing our first Five In A Row book: How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World. We have a week chocked full of apple fun, science experiments, math, continents, and more. I can hardly wait to begin our first full week of homeschooling. This past week we introduced some routines and I assessed him in reading, writing, and math.

If you haven't heard of Five in a Row you should check it out (even if you don't homeschool). FIAR is curriculum where they chose some quality picture books that you row for a week. What is rowing? Well, you read the same book each day and focus on a different core subject for each day. One day you focus on literacy, another math, science, social studies, and art. You can do the days in whatever order and the books have excellent suggestions of what to do for each book.  I am kind of bitter that I didn't write this curriculum because I pretty much have been doing this exact same thing with my boys for years. When researching what other bloggers do with FIAR I came across some amazing gurus. My two favorites are Aussie Pumpkin Patch and Delightful Learning. Delightful learning has a blog roll for each book so there is amazing resources available.

Delightful Learning had a great idea of making a sensory bin to accompany How to Make an Apple Pie. You know me-I'll take any excuse to make a sensory bin. Her's is truly great and she did some great social studies activities with the bin that we will be doing next week. Here is my take on the sensory bin to go with the book.


What is included:
Apple Cinnamon Cheerios (for filler)
Chicken & an toy food egg
Cow & toy food milk
Sugar, Allspice, Salt, and Cinnamon
Toy apples
Apple block from Alphabet train
Apple tiles from Zingo game
Apple and Tree from Guidecraft Feel & Find
Felt Apple Tree
John Deere tractor and combine
Farmer
Vermont state card (where she gets apple in the book)
plant from my backyard to mimic wheat (don't have any up in Anchorage)
Measuring cups & spoons

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks fun. I love the Cheerios idea. We don't get cinnamon ones in the UK.

    Thanks for linking to the Sunday showcase. I've pinned this to our board.

    ReplyDelete