Sunday, February 26, 2012

Babies First Sensory Bin

This past summer I was busy making sensory bins for my five year old and sensory baskets for my baby. The baskets were designed towards larger items for safety sake. Some previous tot sensory baskets were: color theme, letter theme, shape theme, and nature theme. To see all the previous tot baskets click here. Sensory bins on the other hand were filled with more miniature items and fillers. Sensory bins for my oldest ranged from back to school, construction, beach, holidays, and more. You can see those here. I have gotten away from making them lately because I am in the midst of a huge move. I am eagerly anticipating making sensory bins and baskets later this Spring.

As I was busy making a craft with my 5 year old I realized I needed to keep my 15 month old occupied. He is too young for many craft supplies and I had no sensory baskets on hand. What I did have was beans, poms, two cups, heart containers from the Dollar Tree, a heart ice-cube tray, and a casserole dish to put everything in. Yes, it did end up with a Valentine's Day theme, but it was unintentional. Honestly, I was frantically throwing things in for him to stay quiet. It took me about three minutes to put it together. I was sweating bullets handing it to my little monster. He loves to shove everything in his mouth or throw items across the floor. Suprisingly, he used it just like a sensory bin is intended to be used. He got busy pouring and transporting, he even put beans in the containers to make shakers! I was blown away. Now about 8 minutes later it did end up on the floor, but I take my successes when I can get them.
Brother had to get in on the action and show him how it is done.
I am looking forward to trusting him with smaller items, but I think the majority of his sensory experiences will still be similar to baskets I have put together in the past. Look for more ideas of sensory play in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment